Strategies in Treating Pancreatic Pseudocyst

Authors

  • Sinan Shawkat Hamid
  • Talib A. Majeed
  • Bashar A Abdulhassan

DOI:

https://doi.org/10.37506/mlu.v22i4.3333

Keywords:

Strategies; Treating; treated conservatively; Pancreatic Pseudocyst.

Abstract

Aims: The goal of this study is to look into the inpatient outcomes of various treatment approaches for Pancreatic
Pseudocyst (PP) and to assess the efficacy and complications of various treatment regimens.
Patients and methods: This research reports on a retrospective review of 125 patients with Pancreatic Pseudocyst
who underwent treatment, whether medical or surgical, and their outcomes in a gastroenterology and hepatology
teaching hospital / medical city / Baghdad-Iraq, between ( 2017 – 2021).
Results: The mean and standard deviation are used to represent the effects. The student t test was used to compare
categorical variables. SPSS was used for all statistical research, and a p value of 0.05 was deemed statistically
important. In our sample, 30.4 percent of cases received supportive care, while the remaining 69.6 percent received
surgical intervention. In our sample, the most common surgical procedure was Cystogastrostomy (significant
p=0.05). Cystojejunostomy was the surgical procedure conducted that had the fewest complications, as opposed
to external drainage, which had a higher value (significant at p 0.05). The recurrence rate was strongly dependent
on the treatment chosen for the underlying disorder. The resection surgery had the lowest recurrence rate,
followed by Cystojejunostomy, while percutaneous drainage had the highest recurrence rate, followed by external
drainage, with a p value of 0.05. There were no statistically significant variations in mortality rates between
surgical interventions (p=0.284).
Conclusions: Asymptomatic pancreatic pseudocyst is treated conservatively, while infected or ruptured pancreatic
pseudocyst necessitates external drainage. In the majority of cases, anastomosis of the pancreatic pseudocyst to the
surrounding bowels, either CG or CJ, is performed with reasonable success.

Author Biographies

Sinan Shawkat Hamid

FACS, Subspecialist Digestive and General Surgeon, Alsalam Teaching Hospital, Chief Medical
Specialist

Talib A. Majeed

FRCS, Consultant Surgeon, GIT and Hepatology Teaching Hospital

Bashar A Abdulhassan

FACS, Assistant professor of surgery, Al Nahrain college of Medicine.

Downloads

Published

2022-10-27

How to Cite

Sinan Shawkat Hamid, Talib A. Majeed, & Bashar A Abdulhassan. (2022). Strategies in Treating Pancreatic Pseudocyst. Medico Legal Update, 22(4), 50–57. https://doi.org/10.37506/mlu.v22i4.3333